Last year, we heard rumors of a live-action Mortal Kombat movie, and although it's true that such a project is in the works, it seems that script has long since been tossed out. It's unclear if any real progress has been made since then, but in the meantime, the rumor mill has brought us some more tantalizing claims. According to the latest buzz, Mortal Kombat is getting an animated movie.
This news comes from Revenge of the Fans, though it's unclear where they got the information. They also claim to have a cast list for the movie, headlined by Community's Joel McHale and Dexter's Jennifer Carpenter. They don't claim to know which actors are playing which characters, but they speculate that McHale will be voicing Johnny Cage while Carpenter voices Sonya Blade. Other reported cast members include:
- Darin DePaul (Spider-Man PS4, Justice League Action)
- Fred Tatasciore (He's absolutely prolific, but you can currently check him out on Avengers Assemble and the new Voltron)
- Grey Griffin (Young Justice, Avengers Assemble)
- Ike Amadi (Avengers Assemble, Trollhunters)
- Kevin Michael Richardson (Another absolutely prolific voice actor, it was just announced he'll be Mr. Terrific in Justice League vs The Fatal Five. Also? He voiced Goro in the 1995 live-action film…)
- Patrick Seitz (Has voiced Scorpion for all of the new MK games)
- Robin Atkin Downes (Disenchantment, Voltron, a ton more)
- Steve Blum (Voiced Sub-Zero in the Mortal Kombat reboot game)
- Jordan Rodrigues
Revenge of the Fans also believes it's possible that the Mortal Kombat animated movie will end up being a two-parter. Warner Bros. has not officially confirmed any of this information at this time, and it could be a while before any news breaks, but Revenge of the Fans has accurately leaked WB Animation projects in the past, including Superman: Red Son just days ago.
Source: Revenge of the Fans