Many Nintendo fans have been predicting it since the highly praised game came out earlier this year, but Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild just won the 2017 Game of the Year Award. This marks Nintendo's first Game of the Year award since the The Game Awards started in 2014. Eiji Aonuma took to the stage to thank the fans and the entire development team. He also promised to take the energy from winning this award and use it to continue making Zelda games in the future.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was in contention with Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn, Super Mario Odyssey, and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds.
Many other games and people won other awards tonight, including Breath of the Wild. The awards are as follows:
- Trending gamer: Guy Beahm (Dr. Disrespect)
- Best Score in Music: Nier: Automata
- Best Mobile Game: Monument Valley 2
- Best VR/AR Game: Resident Evil VII
- Best Handheld Game: Metroid: Samus Returns
- Best Narrative: What Remains of Edith Finch?
- Best Action Game: Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
- Best Art Direction: Cuphead
- Industry Icon Award: Carol Shaw
- Best RPG: Persona 5
- Best Strategy Game: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
- Most Anticipated Game: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Family Game: Super Mario Odyssey
- Best eSports Team: Cloud9
- Best eSports Game: Overwatch
- Best Indie Game: Cuphead
- Best Ongoing Game: Overwatch
- Best eSports Player: Faker
- Best Student Game: Level Squared
- Games for Impact: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- Best Audio Design: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
- Best Performance: Melina Juergens as Senua (Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice)
- Best Fighting Game: Injustice 2
- Best Game Direction: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Best Action-Adventure Game: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Best Sports/Racing Game: Forza Motorsport 7
- Chinese Fan Game Award: jx3 HD
What did you guys think of The Game Awards? Did your favorite games win this year? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Source: The Game Awards 2017